What is WeatherPi?
Note: A newer version of this project is available. See the GroveWeatherPi.
Weather Pi is the SwitchDoc Labs Solar Powered Raspberry Pi Weather Station. The design has been released as a SwitchDoc Appnote, an Instructable and a series of posts on SwitchDoc.com.
WeatherPi is a solar powered Raspberry Pi WiFi connected weather station designed for Makers by SwitchDoc Labs. This is a great system to build and tinker with. All of it is modifiable and all source code is included. The most important functions are:
- Senses 20 different environmental values
- Completely Solar Powered
- Has a full database containing history of the environment (MySQL)
- Monitors and reports lots of data on the solar powered system – great for education!
- Self contained and monitored for brownouts and power issues
- Can be modified remotely
- Download your data to crunch it on your PC
- Can be modified to do SMS (Text) messaging, Twitters, webpages and more
- Has an iPad Based Control Panel
- Easy to connect to CWOP, Twitter, WeatherUnderground, etc
Latest SwitchDoc Blog on WeatherPi is WeatherPi Power System Performance.
Articles on WeatherPi
SwitchDoc Labs has published three Instructables about the WeatherPi.
Raspberry Pi Geek Magazine
Block Diagram For WeatherPi
How is Weather Pi Working?
In a word. Beautifully! From the RasPiConnect graphs below (the graphs are generated on the Raspberry Pi using MatPlotLib). You can see the charging cycle of the battery in the second screen and the various directions of current into the battery in the first screen.
On April 26, 2015, we put the WeatherPi WiFi Solar Power Weather Station out in the weather. Today we are collecting the data from RasPiConnect and are presenting the graphs and screens below. The glitch at the end of the graph is when we carried the unit inside to check out the operation and what was going on with the WiFi dongle.
Updated Parts List (May 5, 2015)
- WeatherRack Weather Sensors
- BUD NEMA Box from Amazon.com
- VoltaicSystems Solar Panel(s) – 2 panels
- Raspberry Pi A+
- Raspberry Pi Compatible WiFi USB Dongle
- SunAirPlus Solar Power Controller
- USB Control (SwitchDoc Labs – now available)
- 4 Channel I2C Mux Breakout Board
- SwitchDoc Labs Dual WatchDog Timer
- WeatherPiArduino Weather Board
- Embedded Adventures I2C Lightning Detector MOD-1016 board
- DS3231 RTC With EEPROM
- AM2315 Outdoor Temperature and Humidity Sensor
- BMP180 Barometer and Temperature Sensor
- Ada fruit HTU21D-F Temperature/Humidity breakout board
- Adafruit 32KB FRAM I2C breakout board
- Adafruit ADS1015 4 Channel A/D I2C board
- Adafruit PKCELL Lithium Ion Battery Pack – 3.7V 6600mAh
- Waterproof 8 Pin Plug from Amazon.com
- 2 Dual Row 4 Position Covered Screw Terminal Block Strip from Amazon.com
- RasPiConnect Control Panel